Rag Rugging

My back is feeling better - good enough to weave - maybe not good enough for the hard beating that's required to weave a sturdy rug, but I'm doing it anyway. I've wanted to do this for a long time and I finally got down to it. I think the fact that my Chiropractor asked if I could weave him a rug had something to do with it...

I used a warp of burnt orange and burgundy 8/4 cotton carpet warp. I also have orange and white, but they were a bit too bright for the material I was using.


Carpet Warp, Wound and Ready

I purchased the material at the JoAnn Fabric store in Bowie, MD - they were having a going out of business sale :(

When I started to cut the fabric into 1 1/2 inch strips, the fraying was way too much so I decided to roll each strip and sew the edges inside. This way I get a nice clean rug without the frayed edges sticking out. Yes, I know, it's a rag rug, but hey, it's for me and I wanted it 'clean & neat'.


Fabric and Rolled Weft Detail

This little baby, 24 x 36, will sit in the upstairs bathroom right in front of the sink. Something to dig my toes into while I'm brushing my pearly whites (Eh Pearl). It's nice and firm, well, it's still on the loom, but it feels awesome. I'll shoot another image once it's on the floor in it's final resting place :)


Comments

Popular Posts