The Harvest: Japanese Indigo Seeds

I left a few of the Japanese Indigo plants in the ground so their flowers would have a chance to mature and produce some fresh seed for next year. Now it's time to harvest.

Fresh Japanese Indigo Seeds from the Garden

One thing I found interesting: the stubs (down to the ground) of the harvested plants sprouted back up and they too have produced flowers. Already! I was going to dig up a few to bring inside to mature, but after picking through, I think I have plenty. I understand that is one way to get seeds when the weather outside starts getting chilly. I guess they do a decent job of self-pollinating in the warmth of home.

Now they need to dry for a day or so and then I'll store them in a paper bag until time to plant in late winter.

So much fun :)
Full of Seeds
   
The Indigo Forest

Comments

Mary E.Dadds said…
Hi Donald,
I just found your blog.I will be following.
Would you be willing to sell me some indigo seeds?I bought mine from Elizabeth Merril afew years ago.I grew my own last year and got flowers and seeds.This year I got lots of plants ,no flowers.Can not grow next year if I get no flowers.No flowers-no seeds.My e-mail is lilmisstitches@yahoo.com.
Thank you so much.
WeaveThings said…
Hi Mary - I just sent you an email :)
Donald

Popular Posts